También está disponible en: Spanish
Duration: 16 hours
Dates: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 17, 19, 20, 24 and 26 july 2017
Place:HANGAR Center for visual art production | Emilia Coranty 16 08018 Barcelona
Beyond its growing privatization and surveillance, the internet today remains a multidimensional scenario that hosts the wildest digital experimentation and creativity. This course offers a reflective look at web technologies and hypermedia, exploring the symbiosis between art and the internet through a historical deconstruction of net art since the 90’s, analyzing the social and technical contexts from which it emerges and the physical and logical infrastructures that make it up.
We will study reference cases of artistic practices and activists that use the virality, the immediacy and sociability of the network to produce and disseminate interactive actions, without intermediaries or geographical boundaries and in a collaborative and open way to participation. We will see examples of satellite art, computer art, online video games, virtual environments, net art, glitch art, among others.
At the end of the course each participant will be able to conceptualize new ways of thinking about the internet and the web design, and launch a project of interactive art for the web.
- To construct a critical perspective on the history of hypermedia and the internet as technology and media.
- To study the history, philosophy and practice of art in the network to conceptualize strategies that create, appropriate and transform the web into a disruptive medium.
Development of web pages, visual arts, graphic and multimedia design, sound art, data visualization, advertising, photography, media theory, audiovisual production.
- Analysis of the academic-military-industrial origin of the Internet from the 60s on. The infrastructure of the Internet. The first examples of network structures and artistic experiments with telepresence and electronic arts.
- Contemporary paradigms of production, distribution and experimentation in art for the web. The aesthetics of net art. Case studies in hypertextual narrative, mail art, storytelling, graphic design, 3D, .GIF animation, glitch, chat rooms, video games, web animations, virtual environments, hacktivism, interactive applications, art in social networks, economies of affectivity .
- General analysis of web design paradigms. Tools for the developer: Command line, terminal, programming environments and code editors. Installation and commissioning of a local server using Node.js.
- Development in HTML, CSS and fundamentals for the design of web pages interactive and adaptable to devices. Use HTML5 Canvas.
- Interaction based on events. Types of inputs, buttons, text boxes, sliders. Jquery to manipulate and experiment with DOM. Practices with popup windows, hypermedia and hidden links.
- Introduction to the p5.js. Elements and fundamental operations of programming, and construction of 2D and 3D graphics.
- Motion and interactive animation with p5 using mouse actions and user keyboard. Management of multimedia files and capture of audio and video taking advantage of the webcam and the microphone. Using the p5 DOM library.
- We connect our applications with public social networking data using APIs, AJAX, and JSON. Implementation of projects on a server on the Internet. Cross-browser and cross-device compatibility. Debugging errors.
The ideas of projects to be developed during the course are welcome. All participants will have the opportunity to show the results of their work at the end of the course.
Requirements for the participant:
Personal computer required. No previous experience is needed.
arte por internet
, desarrollo web
, diseño gráfico
, net art